Meters & metered standpipes

Find out what you need to do if you install meters or use a standpipe.
Do you want to know about meters in multi-level buildings


Only a plumber licensed with NSW Fair Trading can install a meter. They can install any meter we issue.
Locked and tagged water service in grass

These services are typically in new areas.

This is except for a 20 mm meter going onto a locked and tagged service like the one in the picture. We must install those meters.

If you prefer, we can install 20 mm to 50 mm light duty meters free of charge.

To know more, read our Water meter installation guide.

Multi-level buildings

We don't install meters on these properties. This is except for the main meter.

Find out more about meters in multi-level buildings.

When you apply

Please apply for a meter three weeks before you need water on-site. You must have a meter on the site before you start building.

Simply call us on 13 20 92 if you need to use water straight away.

How you apply

Existing property

Locked and tagged water service in grass

We must install meters going onto these locked and tagged services.

To get a meter, simply apply for a water meter installation at Sydney Water Tap in™.

When you apply, you have two choices:

  • Ask us to install the meter - we'll install it within 10 working days once we approve your application.
  • Tell us you or your plumber will install the meter - you must apply for a connection approval letter at Sydney Water Tap in™. Once we approve your application, you or your plumber can collect the meter from Skilltech.

New property

If you have a water service like the one in the picture, simply apply for a water meter installation at Sydney Water Tap in™.

When you apply, you must ask us to install the meter.

If you don't have one of these services, please call us on
13 20 92

Multi-level buildings

We only supply or install the main meter on these properties.

To get this meter, simply apply for a water meter installation at Sydney Water Tap in™

If you need meters for the units or extra meters for the common areas, you can get them from our accredited supplier.

Find out more about meters in multi-level buildings.

How much it costs

It doesn't cost anything to apply for a meter. When you ask us to install a 20 mm to 50 mm light duty meter, we'll do it free of charge.

What happens next

If we're installing the meter, we'll do it within 10 working days.

If you're installing the meter, you can collect it from Skilltech once you have the connection approval letter from Sydney Water Tap in™.

If the meter is larger than 50 mm light duty, we can deliver it to a licensed plumber at the property. Simply call us on 13 20 92 to arrange delivery.

If you'd like to know more about installing meters, read our Water meter installation guide.

If you're a licensed plumber or an authorised representative, you can collect a meter from:

Unit S/10-16 South Street

They're open between 8.30 am and 4.00 pm Monday to Friday.

When collecting a meter from Skilltech, you must show them the connection approval letter from Sydney Water Tap in™.

After you've collected the meter, it must be installed within two days. 

Unwanted or disused meters should be returned to Skilltech. 


Multi-level buildings

We don't supply meters for these properties. This is except for the main meter.

Find out more about meters in multi-level buildings

Where on the property does the meter go?

We need you to install the meter:

  • between 300 mm and 1,000 mm inside the front property boundary
  • between 300 mm and 600 mm from the left or right property boundary
  • parallel to the closest side boundary
  • 300 mm from the ground.

If you're installing meters close together, we need 300 mm between them.

Please don't install the meter:

  • more than 1.5 metres above the ground
  • in an area that we can't access such as inside a house or unit, in a ceiling space or under a kitchen sink.

Doing this might stop us reading or replacing the meter.

What distance do you need between the pipes for the meter?

When you're installing a water service, you need to allow the right space for the meter. If the property needs a separate backflow containment device, you'll need to allow enough space for that too.

Find out how to measure the distance between the pipes for the meter.

What if you can't put the meter where we need it?

If you can't install the meter where we need it, simply email and tell us where you propose to install it. We need you to:

  • tell us the property address
  • tell us the account number if you have it
  • attach a drawing or diagram of the proposed position
  • explain why you need to put it in another position
  • explain how we'll access it regularly.
We'll let you know if your proposal is suitable within seven days.

To find out more, read our Water meter installation guide.

If you're installing meters in a  multi-level building , you must install them in the common area, not inside each unit.  

To find out more, read our Multi-level individual metering guide.

We only allow you to disconnect a meter if you have our approval to disconnect the water service. You might do this because:

  • the property is going to be vacant permanently or for a long time
  • a fire has damaged the property
  • you're installing a self-sufficient drinking water supply
  • you're installing a larger meter.

You must apply for our approval to disconnect at Sydney Water Tap in™.

If you still need to use water at the property, you must leave the meter connected to the old water service.

Metered standpipes

Before you buy a standpipe, you must apply for a standpipe permit.

We'll send you a list of accredited suppliers if we approve your permit.

Apply now!

When can you use a standpipe?

You may need to access water through our hydrants when a normal connection isn't available. This may be when you need water:

  • to suppress dust
  • on a construction or building site
  • to cut concrete 
  • for new landscaping projects or bush regeneration
  • to cart water.

You must have an ABN or ACN and may only use a standpipe for business purposes. You must not use a standpipe for agriculture or as an alternative water supply.

When can you draw water?

We only allow you to draw water:

  • from a drinking water main
  • between 7 am and 8 pm Monday to Friday
  • between 8 am and 6 pm Saturday and Sunday.

When can't you use a standpipe?

Using a standpipe illegally is water theft and fines of $2,200 may apply. This includes using a standpipe when:

  • it doesn't have a meter
  • the meter isn't working
  • you don't have our approval to use it
  • it doesn't have a backflow prevention device.
You're responsible for buying and maintaining your standpipe.

It doesn't cost anything to apply for a permit. If we approve your application, you'll pay a quarterly service charge and quarterly water use charges for each standpipe.

Water service charge for a 25 mm standpipe $19.30 a quarter
Water service charge for a 32 mm standpipe $31.63 a quarter
Water usage


^ If dam levels drop below 60% for Greater Sydney, the water usage charge will increase to $3.22 a kilolitre until the dam levels are back over 70%.

Each quarter, we'll send you a letter asking for a meter reading from your standpipe. This is to calculate your water usage charge. 

You're responsible for buying the standpipe. We don't contribute to this cost.
If we approve your application, we'll send you:

A letter This authorises you to buy the standpipe and tells you where you can buy them.
A permit This allows you to use the standpipe. Keep a copy with the standpipe as we audit permits and will ask to see it on site.
A permitted use sticker This is only if you cart water. You'll get one sticker for each truck you have.

When you buy the standpipe, your accredited supplier will tell us its meter serial number.

This is an Elster brand water meter.

Meters come in many different sizes and types.