Buying, selling & moving

Whether you're buying, selling or leasing commercial or industrial property, you'll need to consider whether you need additional services to the standard water and wastewater services. You need to know your responsibilities and what find out what charges apply. Read our Customer Contract to learn more about our standard service levels or find out more about additional services below.

You need to know which services and charges apply

To find out which services and charges apply to a property you want to buy, you need our certificates, documents and diagrams. You can buy them online at Sydney Water Tap in™ or from one of our Property Link brokers.  

It's also a good idea to find out if:

  • other customers share your private water and wastewater pipes
  • your pipes go across your neighbours' land. If they do, ask your conveyancing agent if there's an easement for the pipes. An easement will give you a legal right to access your pipes to repair or maintain them. It may also stop other land owners from building over your pipes.

If your new property has a joint , encroaching or extended private service, you'll have extra maintenance obligations. These may include cooperating with neighbours to manage joint services and making sure you have permission to access land when you need to maintain your pipes. 

You can use most services when you move

If your new property has standard services covered by our Customer Contract, you can use them as normal. You don't need to apply for services already connected at the property, such as standard water services.

If there are non-standard services at the property, such as a pressure sewer connection, we'll send you a new additional services agreement when we know the property has changed hands.

Ask the seller's agent and your conveyancing agent if we have any connection conditions you should know about.

If you need a new type of connection on a property you've bought, apply at Sydney Water Tap in™.  This includes applying for permission to discharge commercial or industrial trade wastewater for your business.

See the types of connections you can apply for and find out about our application requirements.

You can also apply for permission to discharge trade wastewater online at Sydney Water Tap in™.

You must notify buyers of special connection conditions

Always tell buyers if:

  • there's a Sydney Water connection that may affect them. For example, you may need to tell a buyer if there's a restricted water service or a pump to sewer arrangement as it might affect their business operations
  • the property has any joint, encroaching or extended private services. These services affect maintenance obligations and may affect any plans to redevelop or subdivide.

You don't need to disconnect services when you sell your property.

You have responsibilities if you're a tenant or a landlord


You don't need to get the water meter read before moving in or out of leased premises.

If you rent a property and need to discharge commercial or industrial trade wastewater or change any other connection arrangements, talk to your landlord. If you're a large industrial customer with a long term lease, we may enter into a trade wastewater agreement with you.


It's normally the property owner's responsibility to organise the right trade wastewater agreements.

You must tell your tenants if there are any additional services agreements that apply to your property.  

If you own a property and are now leasing it out, you can change your mailing address online so we can bill you correctly. 

Does your new property have a meter?

Elster meter with the dials open

You need to request meters online through Sydney Water Tap in™.

Apply online

Do you want to redevelop your new property?

New housing at Hoxton park

If you're building, you need to understand our requirements

Learn more